In the ever-changing landscape of automotive sales, car dealerships are increasingly turning to specialized marketing agencies to fuel their success. As the industry embraces the digital era, forward-looking marketing professionals navigate constant updates while steering dealerships toward unprecedented growth. Join us as we look at some outdated practices falling by the wayside and explore how car dealership marketing agencies are adapting.
These days, success hinges on more than just selling cars; it’s about building brand loyalty, leveraging data-driven insights, and staying ahead of the curve. As we navigate this intersection of innovation and competition, it’s important to remember the key tactics that these marketing agencies employ to drive customer engagement, boost sales, and ultimately redefine the way we perceive and purchase automobiles.
For decades, auto dealers and marketing agencies had a pretty limited number of tools available to attract floor sales and foot traffic. Those methods didn’t provide much in the way of data to discern return on investment or even engagement. A lack of data naturally led to inefficient spending practices that benefitted those selling the ads but left auto dealers wondering where the money was going. For this and other reasons, “traditional” advertising methods have begun losing their slice of the marketing pie.
Traditional Marketing Methods Fading from Use:
- Print Advertising: Traditional print advertisements, such as newspaper ads and brochures, are becoming less prominent as digital channels offer more dynamic and cost-effective ways to reach a wider audience.
- Broadcast Television: While TV commercials were once a staple in automotive marketing, the rise of streaming services and digital platforms has led to a shift away from traditional broadcast advertising. Many consumers now engage with content on-demand and online, necessitating a change in advertising strategies.
- Cold Calls and Direct Mail: Cold calling and direct mail campaigns are giving way to more targeted and personalized digital outreach. Email marketing, in particular, allows for tailored communication based on consumer behavior and preferences.
- Billboards and Outdoor Advertising: While still used, traditional outdoor advertising like billboards is being complemented and, in some cases, replaced by more interactive and measurable digital advertising methods.
- Static Websites: Basic, static websites are evolving into dynamic and interactive platforms. The focus is now on creating engaging online experiences, incorporating videos, interactive tools, and personalized content to capture and retain visitor attention.
- Traditional Showroom-Only Approach: The reliance on physical showrooms as the primary means of engaging customers is diminishing. Automotive marketing agencies increasingly leverage digital channels to create virtual touchpoints, allowing consumers to explore and interact with products before stepping foot in a physical showroom.
The shift towards digital strategies reflects the changing ways in which consumers engage with information and make purchasing decisions, prompting automotive marketing agencies to adapt and innovate in response to these evolving trends.
From targeted social media blitzes to personalized email campaigns, a quality agency’s digital toolbox is diverse and ever-evolving. These agencies are not just creating an online presence; they’re crafting digital experiences that resonate with potential buyers, ensuring that every click is a step closer to a real-world interaction.
New Tools Taking the Place of Traditional Methods
Instead of Print Advertising → Digital Display Ads and Social Media Campaigns
- Digital Display Ads: These ads can be strategically placed on websites, apps, and other digital platforms, reaching a targeted audience.
- Social Media Campaigns: Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and X (formerly known as Twitter) offer powerful tools for running targeted and visually engaging ad campaigns.
Instead of Broadcast Television → Online Video Advertising
- YouTube Ads: With many consumers turning to online video platforms, advertising on YouTube allows for targeted and measurable video campaigns.
- Streaming Services Ads: Placing ads on streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, or others capitalizes on the shift from traditional TV to digital streaming.
Instead of Cold Calls and Direct Mail → Email Marketing and Content Marketing
- Email Marketing: Personalized and automated email campaigns are more targeted and cost-effective compared to traditional direct mail.
- Content Marketing: Providing valuable content through blogs, videos, and other formats helps build relationships and engage customers without the need for cold calls.
Instead of Billboards and Outdoor Advertising → Digital and Geo-targeted Ads
- Digital Billboards: Interactive digital billboards offer dynamic content and can be updated remotely.
- Geo-targeted Ads: Local SEO and location-based targeting in online advertising allows dealerships to reach consumers in specific geographic areas.
Instead of Static Websites → Dynamic and Interactive Websites
- Interactive Features: Websites now incorporate interactive elements like 360-degree views, configurators, and virtual test drives to enhance user engagement.
- Personalized Content: Dynamic websites use data to deliver personalized content based on user preferences and behavior.
Instead of the Showroom-Only Approach → Adding Virtual Showrooms and Online Platforms
- Virtual Showrooms: Immersive online experiences allow users to explore vehicles, schedule test drives, and interact with product information without being physically present.
- Online Platforms: Dealers can leverage e-commerce platforms and third-party websites to reach consumers outside of physical showrooms.
Beyond the many evolving tactics and mediums car dealerships utilize, there are also constant changes in each segment of the industry, all dictating new standards. Every platform or approach has its own best practices, and becoming familiar with them takes time and effort. That is why car dealership marketing agencies like Wikimotive exist. We follow industry trends closely, ensuring that we’re not wasting time on outdated or short-sighted strategies. Our high-quality work brings our clients increased visibility, leads, and sales.
If you’re tired of chasing the latest marketing strategies, let us do the heavy lifting. Get in touch today and find out how we can help.